Monday, April 26, 2010

Vinyl from the Vault: Mazarati

I returned to Beat Collectors in Shinjuku the other day and picked up yet another unique find, the 12" single, "Stroke" by 80's Minneapolis band Mazarati. Of the dozens of record shops I've scoured all over Tokyo, I have never, I repeat, NEVER have seen a single one of this band's records. A truly rare find.

While it's clear to me that this record isn't quite on par with Morris Day's "Color of Success," "Stroke" is certainly a groovy tune that has its place in history along with the rest of Prince's cohorts. Check out the song here, but don't be surprised if it's a little too oldskool for your ears.

Once again, I have to give my unofficial endorsement for Beat Collectors, one of the coolest boutique vinyl shops I've stumbled across in Tokyo.  Exit Shinjuku station on the west side and walk north to the area across the tracks from the Prince Hotel. Across the street from Mos Burger is a building with a jazz record shop called Hal's Records. Find Beat Collectors on the third floor of the same building down the hall from Hal's.

If you perhaps know of another awesome Tokyo record shop tucked away in some alleyway or high-rise apartment complex, please leave a comment!! 

No comments: