Friday, November 14, 2008

Japanese Woodprints: Ukiyo-e

The other day I went to the Ota Ukiyo-e Museum in Harajuku. Ukiyo-e are the famous Japanese Woodprints, perhaps the one thing that everyone the world over appreciates about Japanese art.

The museum is housed in a Japanese style building where you take off your shoes when entering. When I bought my ticket, the woman at the desk apologized because a large elementary school group was touring the facility. She said it would be noisy. Noisy it was, but something about watching all the rambunctious school children gazing at their own history was fascinating to me.

Ukiyo-e are absolutely beautiful. Even the post-impressionists in France found them fascinating, utilizing their drawing techniques and color schemes.

This photo is a bit blurry, but I think the composure captures the essence of the moment.

No comments: