Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tatti's Jam


I'm a week late on this story. Wednesday a week ago, Tatti invited me to one of his jam sessions. I busted out my usual funky drum beats and even a little mediocre guitar playing. The other musicians in the bunch were literally top-notch. You wouldn't believe how funky the bassist was, and the pianist was a genuine jazzcat, cool hat included. I could go on and on...

Afterwards, Tatti and I went to a bar to meet some of his friends. He is a very cool individual and speaks good English. Although, he is the first person I've met whose foreign language skills get noticeably worse after a few drinks. For example, he gave me a little Japanese lesson:

"Hiku. Geetaa puraay (guitar play). Tataku. Doooramzu puraay (drums play)."

I then politely informed him that it should be the other way around.

We hung out and talked till 2:30, way past the last train. It took me almost 2 hours to walk home all the way from Shinjuku, but I wasn't about to drop 5000 yen on a cab ride.

No comments: