Wednesday, March 11, 2009

清水翔太 - Shota Shimizu

I got lucky today.

As I mentioned before, my first gig in town has been teaching the owner of a boutique advertising/creative firm how to use digital media software. He also manages a few major J-Pop artists including well known Miliyah Kato and Baby M, who's show I saw two weeks ago.

I called the owner this afternoon to arrange our lesson.

"Hey, I have an extra ticket for Shota Shimizu tonight if you want," he told me over the phone. Shota is one of his artists.

I was on it in a flash. After our lesson, we drove over to Shibuya AX, one of top venues in town, entered through the back door, and received our backstage passes. VIP's were up in the balcony overlooking a floor packed completely to capacity, probably with 1000 people or so.







The reaction from the crowd when Shota first took the stage was a tangible shock of excitement. He dove right into their energy playing this song, a super hip mix of J-R&B and J-Rap. It's been stuck in my head since. The video doesn't do justice to the character of the moment. Even I was totally star-struck.


I was dreaming of making this song a hit in America.

Shota, only 20 years old, was an awesome performer. His musical influences, mainly American R&B and Motown, show through in his articulate and wide ranging voice. His style is simultaneously edgy and smooth, stepping in time to the rhythm with an awesome pair of high top kicks.

His style and appeal was apparent to everyone. All the girls in the room wanted him and all the guys wished they had his moves and apparel.

After the show I got to go back stage and give him a quick thank you and a nod. One of the advertising guy's friends works for Nike and gave Shota a free pair of kicks. Tough life.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

I forgot to mention that in an audience of 1000, I swear I was the one white guy.

EJ said...

You are SO LUCKY!
I just went to his concert in Odaiba on Monday and I almost DIED!!!!!
I can only dream of meeting him <3 But I was really really close to him and I think he saw me...cuz I was only like 4 rows back, right in the center next to a girl in Yukuta and I'm pretty sure I was the only girl there so we totally stood out hahahha!!!

I'M SO JEALOUS OF YOU!