Monday, October 27, 2008

Cool things from Harajuku

Harajuku is one of my favorite parts of town. In contrast to Roppongi, which I described earlier, Harajuku is most definitely "J-style". You see young people everywhere donning styles from goth-punk to Armani chic and everything in between. There are surf shops, NY hip-hop shops, S&M shops, hippie stores, just about everything trendy you can imagine. Takeshita Dori is the famous alleyway street loaded wall to wall with novelty shops. Amazing music blasts from the stores while clerks shout welcome greetings to passerbys looking for the latest gear. When I walk down Takeshita Dori wearing some of my coolest American cloths, I still feel that my style is bland in comparison to the colorful and exciting cloths that hip Japanese wear. Here are a few things I picked up.

This first item I couldn't resist. Evangelicals, I hate to break it to you, but you're deity isn't convincing to me. I've read way too much Nietzsche. Consider an alternate deity. Rock n' Roll Jesus. Then I might just see the Light!
Second up is this t-shirt I bought:

A Japanese friend had to explain it to me. So there are two characters under the pig, the first is 美, bi, which means beautiful. The second, 豚, buta or ton, means pig. Together the meaning is beautiful pig, but there is a double entendre. Read together, the characters sound out "biton", which is how the Japanese pronounce Louis Vuitton! I got a big kick out of this. I'm wearing the shirt right now and I think people are giving me funny looks. They are probably thinking "Hen na Gaijin!" (Strange foreigner!)

No comments: