- Yasujiro Ozu - Tokyo Story, Late Spring
- Mikio Naruse - Floating Clouds, Repast
- Yuzo Kawashima - Suzaki Paradise Red Light, Sun In the Last Days of the Shogunate
- Shohei Imamura - Pigs and Battleships, The Ballad of Narayama
- Seijun Suzuki - Fighting Elegy, Zigeunerweisen
When I asked the woman which was the best film on the list, she took a moment to consider the question and then put a circle next to Floating Clouds.
This list is the culmination of 50 years of experience. Now you all have your homework.