Friday, April 24, 2009

Tokyo Drift

In many previous articles, I've mentioned singer Izumi Ookawara, one of the first truly successful musicians I've met in Tokyo. She was quick to captivate me with her talent, beauty, and charm, and has since become a very good friend.

Her group Qypthone was a popular Shibuya-kei band that was started in the mid-90's. Fans of the genre know the group well. In their active days, they toured all over the world, from South Korea, to Russia, to Germany, and even New York City where they played on the 106th floor of the old World Trade Center.

The group is on break now while the members of the band are pursuing solo projects. Lead composer of the group, Takeshi Nakatsuka has since become quite a well-known DJ in the Tokyo club scene. Izumi took me to his show just a week ago and introduced me to his new crew.

Another one of Qypthone's major snippets of success was landing a song on the soundtrack to The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. I finally got my hands on a copy of the film. Completely campy and awful, but very entertaining. Here is the scene with Qypthone's song, Mission "Bananaa" Muffin:

No comments: